Our reason for being
We believe the key to a more sustainable, productive and profitable primary sector lies in the use of technology, and we are leading the way. Our goal is to simply transform pastoral agriculture by creating a platform for all of New Zealand’s agricultural information.
Ultimately, we exist to enhance farming practices in an ethical and responsible way, while seeking to ensure farmers remain a global success story where production and environmental sustainability go hand in hand.
The FarmIQ platform
FarmIQ is a neutral, open, map-based technology platform designed specifically to service the needs of the agricultural community. It provides fast, reliable online and offline access to a broad range of insights.
The platform is used by a variety of agri-businesses to provide services to customers. VetEnt’s, GrazCare and StockCare are built on the FarmIQ platform, along with AgFirst’s Landbase and Synlait’s dairy diary.
We were created with the specific aim to prove that with better information, farmers could produce more of what the market values.
We were established as part of a government-backed Primary Growth Partnership (PGP) initiative in 2010, with the goal of improving the value chain efficiency by allowing information to flow freely between farmers, processors, and retailers.
In October 2017 the PGP finished and FarmIQ became a fully incorporated New Zealand business, supported by a group of passionate shareholders. FarmIQ continues to grow as the demand for farm management software increases, which is primarily driven by compliance and regulation.
FarmIQ leadership team
Ownership and governance
FarmIQ is 30% owned by Farmlands, New Zealand's largest rural co-operative, 30% by Landcorp, 30% by Silver Fern Farms and 10% by Veterinary Enterprises. The board is made up of five non-executive directors.
- John Quirk—Chairman. John is a Partner at Howard and co. and also Chair of SMX, Kordia, Wherescape, FrameCAD and Clearpoint.
- Dan Jex-Blake—Silver Fern Farms representative. Dan is MD of Mangapoike, a full-time farmer and a Director of Silver Fern Farms.
- Andrew Horsbrugh—Farmlands representative. Andrew is Director of Agri-Products and a former CEO at Craigmores.
- Chris Morrison—VetEnt representative. Chris is MD at Lewis Tucker & Co and has significant governance experience.
- Rob Ford—Landcorp representative. Rob is GM, Innovation, Environment and Technology at Landcorp.